I mentioned back in October that I’ve been working on redecorating our guest bedroom. Sometimes I make plans and then move very slowly. When we bought our house, this bedroom had dingy-looking cream walls, semi-functional and completely ugly roller shades on the windows, and dark brown curtains hung on equally dark brown rods. It’s taken over a year, but we’ve finally made some changes.
Before we decided what to do, we purchased a bed for the room, so that guests would have a place to sleep. By chance, we ended up with a black bed, and the rest of the room took shape around that. I painted an old dresser and bookshelf black to match. And though you can’t see it in this picture, one of the side tables is a bright turquoise, just like the pretty knobs I added to the dresser.
We replaced the terrible window shades with new blinds, and switched out the curtain rods for some simple ones in brushed nickel. This weekend, I plan to finish sewing new curtains using this tutorial. At some point in the future, when we find the right one at the right price, the ugly ceiling fan will be replaced, too.
I’ll share more once the room is finished, but I didn’t want to wait any longer to share a progress update. I’m just so pleased with how the room is coming together. Now that it’s mostly together, I like to poke my head in whenever I walk by just to enjoy it. And once I get those curtains finished, I’ll be ready to devote my attention to transforming an ugly office (painted two shades of yellow!) into a pretty nursery.